The Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x is one of the best Windows laptops under $1500.
With Sony’s decision to make the S Series highly customizable, it’s no surprise that they’ve opened up their market to a wider range of customers from students with minimal needs to memory-demanding software users.
At 4.42 lbs, the Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x is light and compact. Worthy to be categorized as a gamer’s laptop, which would usually have an average weight of 11 lbs, this S Series model is able to run newer games without being absurdly bulky.
The NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 2GB dedicated graphics card allows its users to take advantage of utilizing graphic intensive applications and games. And although the Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x may not be able to provide the best gaming experience, it is very well capable of running 3 VMWares smoothly with its 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3210M quad core 2.50 GHz (3.10 with Turbo Boost) or Intel Core i7-3520M 3.60 GHz processors.
RAM Upgradeability shouldn’t be an issue either. A 4GB DDR3- 1333MHz RAM is fixed onboard and an open slot is added for future upgrades up to 12 GB. Fan noise is surprisingly silent.
The 15.5″ LED backlit wide screen provides crisp images and vivid colors for those who love utilizing the maximum visual capability of their laptops. With a 1920×1080 (1080-p HD) resolution, video creators, movie watchers and even gamers will be enjoying this ultrabook’s vibrant display.
With this VAIO’s slim build, it’s amazing to see that Sony made sure not to skimp its customers on port connectivity. All located on its right side are the power source, twin speedy USB 3.0, a USB 2.0, an HDMI, VGA and Ethernet ports. Wireless provisions include Bluetooth and 802.11 b,g,n Wi-Fi.
The Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x has a backlit keyboard with easily customizable settings. It also has a multi-gesture keypad. Palm rejection, zoom and scroll are exceptionally responsive in Windows 7 after a Synaptics driver update (version 16 and above).
Pros and Cons Summary
Like any other laptop, the Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x has some killer features and setbacks of its own. The following are summarized below.
1. Light weight, slim and fully functional. The SVS151190x model is considered one of the thinnest laptop with gaming capabilities in the market. Its light weight makes it a great selection for students who prefer carrying it around in school as well as businessmen who travel a lot.
2. Dedicated graphics. A 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics card makes this laptop stand out from the rest which is often built with the Intel Graphics card. Nobody can ever go wrong with NVIDIA.
3. Engraving. Aside from the option of choosing between black, silver and white, the Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x can come with personal engraving.
4. 1920×1080 Full HD display. Enjoy a wide variety of tasks from watching HD movies to editing professionally taken pictures to playing HD games. This model provides a large array of viewing angles in high definition.
5. Extra Performance/Enhancement Slots. The provision of an extra slot for memory and an extra battery allows users further customization for whatever purpose they deem necessary.
1. Relatively weak speakers. Most laptops in its price range usually have great sounding speakers. The SVS151190x has one that’s considered average.
2. Bloatware. The pre-installed software accompanying this model can be quite a burden to uninstall.
3. A Minor Color Issue. Some have complained regarding the faulty red color as looking more of an orange.
The Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x is one of the slimmest laptops with gaming capabilities. It comes with a powerhouse specification starting with its 2GB NVIDIA graphics card down to its Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5-3210M. All in all, it’s a great package at a very reasonable price.
Sony VAIO S Series SVS151190x specifications
- 3rd gen Intel Core i5-3210M processor 2.50GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost, upgradable up to 3rd gen Intel Core i7-3520M processor 2.90GHz / 3.60GHz with Turbo Boost
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, upgradable to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- 15.5″ LED backlit Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080)
- Intel HD Graphics 4000 with Intel Wireless Display technology (base option), customizable to NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE (2GB) hybrid graphics
- 500GB (5400rpm) hard drive, upgradable up to 512GB SSD
- 4GB memory, expandable to 12GB
- CD/DVD player / burner, customizable to Blu-Ray Disc player / burner
- Engraving available
- Dimensions: 14.97″ (W) x 0.95″ (H) x 10.06″ (D)
- Weight: 4.42 lbs. (with Internal Battery)
Toshiba Qosmio X70-ABT2G22 – The Customizable Gaming Laptop
Lenovo YOGA – The Convertible Tablet-Laptop
HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Customizable Notebook
Alienware M18x – The Heavy Duty Gaming Laptop from Dell